Sunday, April 27, 2008

Leading out the runners

Today I was scheduled to do the La Jolla 1/2-Marathon. This is a long standing local event and is considered to be a pretty tough race due to the course taking you over a couple of significant hills. The last few weeks, I have been wavering about whether to actually do this event as I was already signed up for it. I decided not to do it for three reasons

1) Long mileage biking on Saturday's really takes a lot out of me.
2) I've got a nagging foot injury that just won't heal.
3) I took a long hard look at my walking shoes and they are played out. Breaking new shoes in during a 1/2-marathon is a bad idea.

But sometimes things work out. I received and email mid-week inviting me to help out with the race by "leading out the runners". Myself and two other Team in Training people were asked to help track the status of the top runners. My mentor Jay, Coach DJ and myself in full regalia were first out of the starting gate on our bikes and paced the top runners over the entire course. We stayed contact with the race organizers and reported times at each mile markers so that the announcer could report it to the spectators. A very nice high profile opportunity for TnT.

What a blast. I was selected to stay with the top runner and kept ahead of him for the first 5-miles until the field spread. After that I would race up ahead and wait for him at the mile markers and record the time when he passed it. Then I would sprint up to catch the pace car and report the time.

Part of the course takes you up and through Torrey Pines State Park which is some pretty serious uphill. I had raced ahead anticipating being a bit slow climbing up the hill. I started the climb and maintained a good 7-8 MPH pace which is very respectable. About three quarters up the hill I look over my right shoulder and see the lead runner right on my wheels. I scurry to the left to get out of his way and he passes me on the uphill going 10 MPH. Amazing. Once the course levels out, I regain ground and my respectability and get ahead of him again. I didn't get the runners name but he was incredible, finishing the race in 1 hr -11 minutes.

The rest of the event was pretty uneventful. I cross the finish line about 30-secs behind the lead runner. I had swung back to let him enjoy his first place finish. It was about 2-3 minutes before the second place runner showed up.

It was a very tough course and it was brutally hot, with temperatures in the high 90's. Several runners had to be taken off the course in ambulances.

After the race, we hung out a bit and enjoyed the atmosphere before heading back. We rode back to the starting line and then Jay and I, got free brunch from fellow B3 team mate, Naomi who runs the Torrey Pines Hilton restaurant. She had invited us to stop by after the race for some grub. Excellent hook-up as the food was fabulous and she spoiled us rotten.

Overall I had a great day, even with the heat. I managed to get in nearly 30-miles and 2000 feet of climbing.

No comments: