Monday, September 24, 2007

Training Log (September 24 - 30)

Monday: Balboa Park. Did the big Laurel Drive hill today. Wore the new Superfeet inserts during training. They took a little getting used to but they felt fine at the end of the walk. I'm having a slight nagging knee problem and a bit of soreness in my left achilles tendon. I think it was a consequence of walking the 14-miles in my new shoes with insufficient arch support. Something to keep an eye on.

Tuesday: Interval sprints at Lake Miramar again. Nobody's stopwatch was working correctly so these were all untimed. This was the first big workout with the new inserts. It didn't go all that well. The arch support felt fine. No back or leg problems, either. The problem was that I started feeling pain on the landing part of the pad of my left foot. The spot right behind my toes started feeling like it was getting bruised. Not good after just 4-5 miles. The reason may be that the position of my foot is different with the inserts in. Possibly, I'm slanted a little bit forward so a previously "tender" area is getting more direct impact. Another possibility is that I just came down too hard during one of the interval sprints and I bruised the area. Going to have to keep an eye on that.

Wednesday: No time for a real workout today with class and all, so I just took a 10 minute walk.

Thursday: Home late from work, ate something quick and went for an hour walk around the neighborhood. With all this structured training, it's been a long time since I walked the neighborhood which I used to do it at least 3 times a week. Beautiful night and not too many freaks out so it was very nice. I didn't push myself too hard but the pain on the left pad of my foot started to become an issue towards the end of the walk. I'm nervous about using the new shoe inserts on Saturday. I was already going to use Moleskin on the pads of both feet to prevent blisters so this may be just enough padding to deal with this. I'm also thinking that I might have enough shoe room to add a second pair of socks for additional padding. Either way, I'm going to be taking the original shoe inserts along with me in the event the Superfeet inserts are giving me trouble.

Friday: Nothing, rest day.

Saturday: 18-Miles at starting at Hospitality Point. The walk went fairly well although I didn't feel nearly as strong as the last time I did the 18 miles. I've been fighting a cold and felt just a little weak. I tried out the new Superfeet inserts again with a slight twist. I used a double sock on my left foot to see if the extra cushion would help out the pain I've been having. About 5 miles in the pain reappeared. I had planned for this eventuality and replaced the insert on the left shoe with the original shoe insert and was able to complete the mileage with less discomfort. The last few miles were a bit unpleasant as the double-sock made it a pretty tight fit as my feet swelled. More data points to figure out what is going on.

Sunday: Walked about 3+ miles going to breakfast and cruising around the Adams Avenue Street Fair.

No comments: