Saturday, September 8, 2007

Train Walk (or powered by potatos)

This Saturday was train walk day. The team took a train from Solana Beach to Oceanside and then walked along the coast back to our cars! The route which follows along the coast and into some neighborhoods is a total of 18 miles long!

Here are a few photos from the day that started at the train station before 6:30am.








Waiting for the train at Oh My God O'Clock.


















Here it comes!




















Melissa on the train.
















Stretching in Oceanside before getting started.














On the road.









I had a blast on Saturday. I started out feeling pretty blah but was feeling a lot better after about mile 6. The energy gels really helped me out along the way. I think I did really well carbing (potatos!) up the night before and staying hydrated the entire day. I just need to make sure I get more sleep the night before. I tried to maintain a 15 minute/mile pace. Christine and I both finished very strong. We sprinted Miles 16 and 18 with a back down pace on Mile 17 to catch our breaths. I felt so strong at the finish that I'm sure I could have completed the full marathon that day. Check out these times! The last mile was my fastest!

Mile

Time

(#)

(m:s)

1

16:08

2

15:09

3

14:36

4

14:59

5

15:03

6

14:37

7

14:22

8

15:21

9

15:26

10

14:58

11

15:00

12

15:16

13

15:23

14

15:40

15

15:02

16

13:16

17

14:24

18

13:12


I felt great after the walk and also the day afterwards. I didn't even get sore. The only negative thing was that I got a big blister on the "pad" of my right foot. I apologize in advance for the squeamish among you.

















This is going to put a serious damper into my training for the week. I'm also going to have to figure out how to do a better job avoiding them in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve,
I enjoyed your posting on the 18 mile walk. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Loved the shot of your blister..OUCH!
:)
Hope it heals fast.
Hugs, Barbet