Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Speedy Gonzales

Had another great training session at Lake Miramar today. I got great sleep the night before, which for those that know me, realize how rare this is. I also prepared by drinking lots of water of the last few hot days and did a lot of stretching of my shins throughout the day. This was also the first tryout for my new kicks, the Asics Gel Nimbus VIII's.

Lake Miramar is a 5-Mile loop and the regularly scheduled Tuesday night training session involves alternating 1/4-mile regular fast-paced walking with 1/4-mile sprints. Today I clocked in at my fastest speed ever. I had three consecutive sprints of under 3-minute quarters. The times were 2 min 49 sec, 2 min 45 sec and finally 2 min 44 secs. This is less than an 11-minute mile! I'm pretty sure that is a new land speed record for Mexicans!

I got great feedback from Coach Peggy and really felt pumped up after the session. It feels great to make such good progress. Last week, I struggled to break the 3-min quarter (ie 12-min mile). I have a week to bask in glory as Coach Peggy is now going to increase the sprint distance to 1/2-mile segments next week to work on my endurance. Yow.

No comments: