Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Training Log (September 17-23)

Monday: Balboa Park. 3 Miles of hills. Tried the new shoes again and they definitely have to go. My foot is slipping inside them and there is no way I wouldn't get a blister on a longer walk. They go back this week.

Tuesday: Lake Miramar - 5 mile walk with 1/2-mile sprints followed by 1/4-mile fast paced walking. The 1/2-mile sprints are something new for my training program. I was doing the 1/2 miles in just under 6 minutes. Sprinting for the 1/2-mile is a real workout and I pushed myself pretty hard. Those following along will remember that I was very fast the last time I did 1/4-mile sprints topping out at 2:41 quarters which is just under an 11-minute mile. The pace for the 1/2-mile was just under a 12-minute mile. Very respectable.

Wednesday: Had my HMR class tonight and even skipped my usual Wednesday lunch walk to have lunch with a colleague.

Thursday: Nada for exercise. Went back to the SDRI and talked to them about my shoes. I bought the membership when I got them a few weeks back and was able to swap them out with another pair. I had gone up a 1/2 size to account for swelling during the walk but it was too much and my feet were nearly swimming in the shoe, causing all kinds of friction. I settled on some Brooks back at my normal size that run a bit longer than other shoes that size. I'm going to have to give them a good workout in the next couple of days. I'm debating whether to use them on Saturday's 14-miler. Did some online fundraising selling stuff to other nerds like me.

Friday: Nada

Saturday: 14-Miles Ventura Cove. See separate entry.

Sunday: Recovery day. 'bout 1/2-hour walking around.

No comments: