Monday, June 23, 2008

Train Ride

I made my first Alumni bike ride today with the Team. There is a group of about 150 people comprising the TnT cycle team alumni. The group is very active with several weekly rides coordinated by the membership.

Today was scheduled to be the "graduation ride" for my Tahoe cycle team. The program was to climb up Palomar Mountain, a local 6,100+ high mountain. The scheduled route takes you from sea level all the way up to the top of the mountain. Supposedly a very brutal climb. Unfortunately, the ride was canceled as the weather forecast was predicting 100+ degree weather.

Instead...Coach Rick organized a little train ride. A group of 14 of us met up at the Solano Beach train station and took the Amtrak up to San Juan Capistrano and cruised the coastline all the way back.

The coast was a lot cooler than inland but it was still plenty hot. I actually felt a little nauseated about halfway through the trip and was glad when we pulled over at the San Onofre Campgrounds to sit in the shade and refill the water bottles. As an added bonus, there was one of those outdoor showers and I took good advantage of it by soaking my head and jersey to cool down.

Somewhere around Carlsbad, a marine layer moved in and we got instant relieve. The layer provided good sun cover and the misty air was almost like riding in air-conditioning.

At the end of the ride we hit Pizza Port for some pizza pie and a couple of pints. I think I'm going to enjoy hanging out with these guys.

No comments: