Friday, May 23, 2008

Strange Coincidence

With cycling training winding down, I decided it was time to get some new Kicks. I made my way to the San Diego Running Institute (SDRI) to try and find that magical pair of running/walking shoes. Long time readers will may remember the Shoe Saga from my marathon training.

I was helped by a friendly, strangely familiar looking young man, Allen. He asked about my experience with my last pair of shoes. I told him I wasn't particularly happy with them but they got me through the Dublin Adidas Marathon last October so they must be OK. We started talking about international marathons and he said that he was going to start competing internationally. I told him the only reason that I don't do it more often is because of the cost to travel and take time off of work, etc. He then said that he is regularly invited to compete internationally by various race organizers since he is "pretty good". That got my curiosity piqued so I asked if he ran in local races such as the La Jolla 1/2 marathon that I recently helped with by leading out the runners. Yup, you guessed it, he's the guy who I was assigned to during the race and "won" it. We talked a bit about the controversy and his general thoughts on running. He was a very nice, positive fellow and I wish him luck in the future.

I continue to be impressed with SDRI, who are avid Team in Training supporters. By purchasing a pair of shoes, I am eligible for a consultation with the owner, Dr. Runco for an extremely discounted rate. I've made an appointment to see him about my foot problems after I get back from Tahoe.

Oh, I ended up going back to the Asics Gel-Cumulous 9's.
















This is the first shoe I started out with and was extremely happy with. When I bought my last pair of shoes, I couldn't find this one anywhere so I had to change models.

No comments: