Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sunday Noodle - Solona Beach to Oceanside

A few of us did a little 36 mile ride up the coast from Solana Beach to Oceanside today. In the parking lot of the train station where we met, I started talking to another pair of bikers that had parked beside me. I was surprised to find out that one of the riders, Damian is a 4 time Lymphoma survivor and has been involved with Team in Training as both a participant and an Honored Teammate. He and his friend hooked up with us and rode the first 10 miles until one of them had got a flat tire. We split up that point.

It was a beautiful day for a ride up the coast. It was a very different experience riding this familiar stretch of road with a smaller group. We basically own the road during our Saturday rides by virtue of having so many riders. Not so with 3-4 riders. We encountered several other groups that got a little territorial and made it difficult for us to pass them. On the other hand, we had a couple of single riders latch on to our group without asking and drafted off of us. I had one guy sneak up on me, latch on without me even knowing he was there. I found out when I braked a little abruptly to his dismay. I didn't think I had anyone besides me. Whoops. I wonder what the normal protocol for this kind of thing is.

No comments: