Thursday, March 19, 2009

Recommitment


Today I turned in my recommitment forms again promising to raise the $1500 I pledged for this season to participate. 25% of my fundraising pledge was due today ($375) to secure my spot on the Team. I got a late start on fundraising this season with the overload of work so it was a mad scramble, but I got mostly there falling just $20 short. The remainder of the money and anything in excess of the $1500 goes directly to the cause.

The recommitment deadline is the last chance to back out. The recommitment money is used to pay for the race entry, event jersey, the pre-event meal (Pasta Party) and end of event meal (Victory Party). Essentually, it's when the Society has to shell out money for me to participate. Up until that time, I've essentially only agreed to just train and any money I've raised, goes to the Society. By signing the recommitment forms, I've agreed to personally pay the balance if I don't hit the $1,500 pledge by the end of the season.

I am also personally responsible to pay for my own travel expenses, including airfare and hotel costs for the event. In this case, with both Christine and I traveling, this amounts to almost as much as I've pledged to raise . It's a decent hit to the pocketbook but all in all it's worth it. I'm contributing to a meaningful cause, enjoying the comaraderie of my Team and get to ride my bike around beautiful Lake Tahoe.

No comments: