Monday, August 6, 2007

Training Log (August 6-12)

Monday: Balboa Park. 4.7 Miles. Nothing spectacular to report, just putting the miles in. We deviated from our normal route to add the Upas street hill to the walk. The hill is fairly short being about a block and half long but is very steep. Got the blood pumping.

Tuesday: Lake Miramar. 5 Miles walk with interval training. Did some one on one training on my walk form with Coach Peggy. The interval training was 1/4 mile normal pace, followed by 1/4 mile sprint for the entire 5 miles. I'm still trying to get the walk form down. Lately, I'd more concerned with just getting the mileage in rather than getting the form down perfectly.

What I'm doing correctly:

1) I have "explosive" power, meaning that I can take off very quickly.
2) The length of my stride is correct. I'm not lifting my feet too high off the ground or taking too long of a step so I'm not wasting energy.
3) hip motion is about 90% there.
4) Walking heel to toe and really pushing through each step.

Things that I need to work on:

1) Turnover. As far as I can tell this means how quickly I repeat the complete step cycle. I need to work on my rhythm so that it all flows.
2) Breathing. I'm still breathing shallowly from the upper part of my chest. Good walkers breath low from their diaphram. I also need to breath more regularly when I'm sprinting. I tend to hold my breath when I'm pushing hard. This is bad.
3) Spacing Out: Got to stay a little more focused and not let my mind wander too much over the long mileage. When I do that my form deteriorates.
4) Endurance. I may have "explosive" power but I can't sustain the boost for very long. More walking time, particularly the interval training will help this.

This was one of the best training sessions I've had to date. It was a great work out.

Wednesday: 3 Mile walk around my neighborhood. I had a very action packed day and I didn't get home until 9pm. Didn't feel like working but I really needed to get some miles in so I just walked the neighborhood for 45 minutes.

Thursday: Back to DeAnza Cove for some more interval work. We were supposed to walk 4 miles today but I think we walked a little bit further, more like 5 miles. I felt very fast today. I started out a stiff and had to keep reminding myself to loosen up and use all the techniques I practiced with Peggy on Tuesday and establish a rhythm. There were times today when it all gelled and I was walking with great form. Very exciting. I'm very curious to see what my actual speed is. I don't usually time myself but I think I'm going to start so I can track my progress. I'm the kind of guy that needs to have a goal to push for so I'm going to do some pondering as to how fast I want to be. I'm now convinced that I can do the 26 mile distance which was a big concern for me. It's time to start setting a time goal for the actual race. That and tracking my speed and distance is an excuse to buy a new electronic toy. *grin*

Friday: Much needed scheduled rest day. Need some time to run errands, do laundry, clean up!

Saturday: 9 Miles along Vacation Isle West A nice little walk along Mission Beach. Lot of people out doing some early morning exercise. Lots of walkers, joggers, bike riders. Getting pretty muggy nowadays.

Sunday: 30 minutes of walking just around town doing errands.

No comments: