Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Training Log (August 13-19)

Monday: Hills and thrills at Balboa Park. 5 very hilly miles!

Tuesday: The normal Lake Miramar session was canceled so Christine and I got together for a walk along the San Diego Harbor. I guestimate it was about 3 miles.

Wednesday: Skipped the normal workout and went to the Padre game with a few friends. Walked about 30 minutes to take Debbie to her car.

Thursday: DeAnza Cove: 3 lame miles. Knee is bugging me so I took it easy today in preparation of Saturday's 15 mile event.

Friday: Off day. Big Miles scheduled for tomorrow. Had a great pasta and chicken dinner to be sure I have the energy for Saturday. Laid out my gear as we have an early start.

Saturday: 15 Big Miles at Coronado. Started out at 6:30am, as in the morning. It was already hot as Hades and just got worse as the day went on. No shade, brutal heat, 15 miles. I luvved it! This is the furthest I have walked to date. The pasta dinner the night before and all the stretching I've been doing really paid off. I felt strong the entire way and really picked up the pace. Went through 3 bottles of water along the way. I also experimented with energy gels for the first time. These are little packages of GU that you eat while exercising to give you an energy burst. The one I ate also had caffeine in it for an extra whammy. Let me tell you, these things work. I took one at about mile 10 and bam! burst of speed. Great workout. Only drawback was getting a blister on the tip of my right "index" toe. I think my shoes are slightly too small and as my feet swell the tip of my toe starts rubbing. I'm almost due for my second pair of shoes anyway so I'll make the change then.

Afterwards, Christine and I went to my friend Matt's baby shower at Crown Point. We got there, scarfed down and promptly laid out on a blanket and dazed. Good times. Burnt out. Matt tried to get me into a round of volleyball, but I passed having exercised enough for the day.

Sunday: Still wiped out from yesterday. Exercise limited to 20 minute walk for coffee.

No comments: