Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Story So Far

Those that know me personally are aware that I've made some major changes to my life over the last year and a half. Turning 40 is a real kick in the pants. One major thing I've done is lost a lot of weight. I've lost 210 lbs since March 7, 2006 and am now weighing in at a semi-svelte 180lbs. It's a good feeling and my feet, knees and probably my heart are very happy. I participated in a medically supervised weight loss program recommended by my doctor. It's a great program called HMR and incorporates, dieting, exercise, record-keeping and nutritional training to change your lifestyle. I can't recommend the program highly enough.

I've really embraced the exercise component of the program and now exercise daily. Changed my life, that kind of stuff, I'm super into it. Well, I'd also been kicking around the idea of trying to volunteer some of my time for a while now. I had thought of tutoring math, mentoring programs like Big Brother's, assisting in my church's Sunday school classes and stuff like that but hadn't really found the time with my busy work schedule and increasingly growing workout schedule. One day, I got a Team in Training flyer in the mail. I'm not even sure how I got on the mailing list. I've had two very dear and close family members pass away from Leukemia and then it all clicked. I could donate my time, energy and enthusiasm to promote a great cause that has personally affected my family and incorporate my newly found love of exercising. Sychronicity, the Police wrote a song about it.

So here I am. More to come but I've gotta sign off now. Have to go on my daily lunchtime walk and log some miles.

No comments: