Friday, February 22, 2008

Re-fit

Who says we don't have real weather in San Diego? It rained today. Actually it's still raining. Had to cancel my usual ride my bike to work day. Even with the weather, I still had some bike stuff to do. I had scheduled another appointment at Ye Olde Bike Shoppe, aka TrekStore San Diego, to check the fit of my bicycle. I had already been previously fitted but something was just a bit off. On the longer mileage, I had been feeling just a twinge of knee soreness. I had also felt some numbness in my feet. Nothing dramatic during the lower mileage but I was worried that it could turn into a bigger problem on the longer rides.

It took about 3 minutes in the store to figure out what was going on. It appears that I had my clips too far back on the shoe. They are supposed to be at the ball of your foot so that you get good power with each stroke. Mine were too far back, so I was basically riding on the arch of my foot. This resulted in me dropping the heel of my foot too far at each down stroke which was annoying my knee. Whip, zip, slam, bang, a few minutes with the alum wrench and I was good. Of course, now my seat was too far up so we had to spend a few minutes playing with that.

One other thing, I had been having trouble with my right pedal. My shoes wouldn't fully clip into them. We tried a bunch of things and then determined that it was a problem with the pedal itself. They replaced my pedals then and there and now I get a very satisfying click when I step in. Now, I'm ready to ride tomorrow in Carlsbad...

...if it would only stop raining!

No comments: