Saturday, January 26, 2008

My own personal bike to work day

I was dying to ride my new bike. The weather has been lousy and my schedule way to full to allow it but I set a goal to ride my bike to work today. I work half days on Fridays and it is casual dress day as well so I thought it was a perfect time to do it. It had been raining and the forecast called for raing. Keeping hope alive, I prepped all my gear the night before in hopes of getting an early start if the skies were clear. I set the alarm for 5:30 am and rushed to look out the front door. Clear enough. Suited up in my skin-tight padded bike shorts, dorky looking helmet, sleek new biking gloves and long-sleeve biking jersey and headed out the door.

I had planned my route the night before from a bike transit map I ordered. There are several obstacles to traverse on my way to the office including getting across Mission Valley with Interstate 8 smack in the way. The route I chose took me about a 2-miles east out of my way to be able to get to a road with a bike lane that got me across the Valley. The trip was pretty dodgy in parts when my bike lane suddenly disappeared when a car lane merged in from the right and I ended up in no man's land. Not great when you are speeding down a steep hill going 25 mph. I was very careful and just stopped when I need to until I got a clear path. Overall the trip was 9-miles each way and took me 45-minutes. A very reasonable commute that I will definitely repeat.

No comments: